Churchill Music aims to promote, develop, improve and maintain public education in and appreciation of the art and science of music in all its aspects by the presentation of public concerts and recitals and by liaison with local schools and by such ways as the trust through its trustees shall determine from time to time.
Churchill Music (Registered UK charity 1121866) promotes 5 concert per year with the aim of making world class music accessible to all, including those in rural areas. We are supported by our Champions (‘friends’) who ‘champion’ live music locally.
Involving young people in North Somerset schools is a huge part of our Churchill Music calendar. Introduction to violin/clarinet classes in Primary schools; Churchill Music Young Musician of the Year competition; interactive schools concerts; Joint Composition project – introducing young musicians to composing for string quartet led by the Asana Quartet and an external composer; a new pilot project exploring the power of music to influence and manage emotions linking in to PHSE classes in primary schools.
Most concerts are held in the beautiful setting of the Church of St John the Baptist, Church Lane, Churchill, BS25 5QW. Churchill Academy is very close and easy to find!
Directions to St. John’s church: By car we are 30 minutes from central Bristol, 20 minutes from Weston, 10 minutes from Bristol International Airport, and readily accessible from junctions 20 and 21 of the M5. Parking is available in the church car park or in the lane. We are very grateful to the team of local minibus drivers who enable so many people to come to the concerts in their ‘transports of delight’!. For more information and to book call Jan Murray on 01934 853518, or email email@example.com.
View a map of the area.
St John the Baptist Church
The Norman church of St John the Baptist is in an idyllic rural setting on the edge of the little village of Churchill, nestling at the foot of the Mendip Hills. Records show that there was a chapel on this site in 1180 but the nave or centre aisle of the church today are all that remain. It is probable that at one time, St John the Baptist Church was in the heart of the village. However, it is believed that Churchill may have been a plague village in the fourteenth century, which would explain why the village appears to have moved away from the church to its present day position.
There is a veritable ‘museum’ of stained glass from many differing periods. The stone font is believed to be 800 years old, although the wooden font cover was added in 1879 when there was a revival in gothic designs.
One of the most significant and fascinating features of St John the Baptist church must be the remarkably detailed and colourful Latch Memorial which depicts Sarah and Thomas Latch and their 12 children.
The kneelers, said to be some of the finest in the west, have been designed and made by local people of all denominations during the last 20 years. They depict the lives of those within the village or associated to it in some way.
St John the Baptist today continues to serve its community of Churchill. As well as worship, there is a network of pastoral care, clubs for children and seniors, Churchill Music concerts, a book club, links with local schools and opportunities to develop skills of bell ringing singing.
Visit the website for Langford and Churchill Churches.